Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Rides That Make Me Scream

I had to drive the submarine. It is much more difficult than I would like for it to be. Most of the time it made me want to yell because the joystick was so sensitive. According to my trainer, Frank, I am ahead of most people that learn the subs. I thought I should give you a little history of the attraction, since Disneyland is like a huge history lesson.

The original Submarine Voyage attraction was built as part of the "new" Tomorrowland in 1959. The Submarine Voyage featured fish and other sea creatures all underwater. A major portion of the ride simulated the voyage under the Arctic Ocean's polar ice cap. After 39 years of this the attraction closed in 1998. At one point I'm told that they were thinking of re-imagineering it as Atlantis: The Lost Empire. But when Atlantis failed at the box office the attraction remained closed.




Then after months of speculation in 2005 the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage was officially announced. With this the entire original ride was gutted so new effects and elements could be built and added. It opened in 2007 and then I started working there in four years later.

After work I went to hit up some attractions I've not rode before at Disney California Adventure. I rode Toy Story Mania. This is a 3D attraction (with some cool CD glasses) where you play fun fair style type games with Toy Story characters. We also rode Mickey's Fun Wheel as seen below, which for some reason was terrifying.
Then we got to ride front row on California Screamin', the park's big roller coaster. It was so much fun. Zero to 60 in 4 seconds. It's the second longest roller coaster in the US! My eyes were watering so bad on the front row I looked like I was crying. This one makes me scream for real.
Before we left we rode Grizzly River Run. It's a normal raft ride. Nothing too special, but the setting was nice.

I work tomorrow which will include more driving the sub. I have to pass a test, which should conclude on Sunday. Other than that, I don't have anything exciting to do.

4 comments:

Jase Daugherty said...

That "fun" wheel was quite a bit more than just terrifying. Pretty sure my heart stopped beating several times. Should be called the wheel of terror!

IndiaC said...

I can't wait to visit you so I can see all of the fun things they don't have at my park. Miss you, darling!

Holly said...

With every entry you post I get more and more excited about the trip out there!!

Unknown said...

1) WHERE CAN I GET A PAIR OF THESE CD GLASSES?!?! maybe they will repair my vision. I have never heard of such devices.
2) the reason that Mickey's Fun Wheel was so terrifying is because I am not there with you to hold your hand. MYSTERY: solved.

Post a Comment